Job Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
CA-AB-Calgary Min. Exp.(Yrs) 5Job Summary:
This role reports to the Director, Market Regulation, located within the Corporate Legal team. This individual will provide analysis, internal subject matter rule support and external advocacy on all regulatory rules and, market design, affecting our trading and generation operations, primarily within U.S. West. The focus will be on California and the Pacific Northwest, with occasional support being provided to our regulatory group in relation to the Eastern Canadian and U.S. regions.
The successful candidate will apply their experience and knowledge of regulated and non-regulated energy markets to analyze, influence and advocate policies, rules, procedures and actions which will support TransAlta’s asset and trading operations. This role will also participate in evaluating strategies tied to potential business development.
This role will require flexibility in being able to respond to key or critical deadlines. There is an expectation that travel will be required in the execution of the duties.
The role may be located in either Calgary, Alberta or US West; this will be determined based on corporate needs and the individual chosen. Responsibilities:
- Advocate policy and legislative rule-making for the benefit of TransAlta. This will include interaction with multi-stakeholder organizations, involving such groups as federal or provincial boards, regulatory bodies, industry task force committees, and other special interests groups or venue
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert for all rules affecting the Electricity Markets in US West for internal stakeholders in TransAlta. Act as the conduit on assessing, positioning and communicating regulatory changes to trading and generation operations within Trans Alta.
- Establish and maintain relationships with external regulatory, administrative and government agencies and with industry participants.
- Participation in external agency and government consultations related to electricity market rules – will require: collaboration with like-minded external advocacy organizations and stakeholder groups, in helping to influence and implement desired policy affecting both generation operations and market rules. This will include interaction with multi-stakeholder organizations, involving such groups as federal or provincial boards, regulatory bodies, industry task force committees, and other special interests groups or venue
- Support new business opportunities by providing support in the due diligence and the evaluation of new opportunities or activities.
- Providing information to key stakeholders in TA to ensure that evolving legislation, material regulatory proposals, and pending effective rule dates.
- Proactively analyze and monitor regulatory and energy industry emerging issues in the US West and other connected jurisdictions, assess the direct and indirect impacts of these issues, and develop internal regulatory interpretations for the affected departments and leadership teams. These will include Generation operations, Marketing, Trading, Transmission operations and interconnects Development.
Job ID :
- Undergraduate degrees in Engineering, Economics or Marketing.
- Minimum 5 years' experience in the areas of regulatory, marketing, trading, commercial, development or general utility experience is desired. Prefer strong understanding of regulatory environments, in both Canada and the U.S., including state and federal levels, preferred.
- Superior communication skills, including the ability to produce reports for internal stakeholders and communication of TransAlta’s concerns to external stakeholders.
- Experience in working in a fast paced environment with critical specific deadlines.
- Must be a strong team player, proven ability to work independently and capable of working collaboratively with peers and leadership.
- Experience on Trade Floor is an asset.
2013-5159 # Openings 1
Job ID: 2013-5159